Ed SawickiLake Oswego, OR
Tailored Computers, Portland, OR
Developed Linux-based sealed system technology, private Internet communities, and several other innovative technologies. Projects included managing a $70 million/year eCommerce site. Wrote extensive documentation for customer systems. Developing a policy-based system administration facility for Linux systems.
Accelerated Learning Center, Lake Oswego, OR
Computer training for IT professionals offering classes in Linux, Open Source Software, networking, NetWare, Windows, and Internet-related technologies. Distance learning and classroom instruction. Taught over 16,000 people in over 30 countries. Speaker at numerous industry events worldwide.
Portland Community College, Sylvania Campus
Mount Hood Community College
Taught classes on Linux, Unix, NetWare, Firewalls, Internet Security, Data Communications, Web Servers, and others. Taught to Cisco certification students.
Long Island, NY; Poughkeepsie, NY; Wilsonville, OR
Worldwide support of data communications and network-based products. Developed code for product diagnostics in assembler. Developed a prototype for a data communications test set that resulted in company's 830-series of Data Comm testers. Proposed an analog signature analyzer/tester for troubleshooting analog circuits. Integrated Tek graphics terminals with IBM mainframes. Worked on commercial broadcast video equipment (NTSC, PAL, Secam).
- Web Technologies
- Solid understanding of HTTP, HTTP/SSL, Cookies, HTML, CSS, SSI, streaming protocols, etc. Deployed numerous Open Source Web servers: Apache, Tomcat, boa, lighttpd ("lighty"), and thttpd. Wrote book on Apache and HTTP. Developed dynamic content using CGI and embedded languages: Perl, PHP, Tcl, bourne shell, and Java tag libraries. Can hand code content in HTML quickly and fluently. Experience with browser issues, such as IE's CSS issues. Developed numerous browser-agnostic Web sites that worked with IE, Firefox/Windows, Firefox/Linux, Firefox/Mac, and Safari. Deployed Web-based Wikis, Weblogs, and Instant Messaging servers. Developed Web sites that do image manipulation with ImageMagik.
- Database Technologies
- Designed and deployed databases on MySQL, PostgreSQL, Berkeley DB, SQLite, dBASE II/III, Btrieve. Fluent in SQL. Experience with avoiding the typical SQL injection attacks.
- Authentication & Encryption
- public/private key systems, X.500 certificates, certificate authorities, Web of Trust, Certificate Revocation Lists and related protocols, OpenSSL, GPG/PGP, symmetric encryption. Maintaining adequate entropy on Linux systems.
- Networking technologies
- Ethernet, ARCNET, Token-Ring, and various other lesser-known systems. IP/TCP/UDP and all the major application layer protocols. Novell's IPX/SPX/NCP. Microsoft's NETBIOS/SMB. Routers and routing protocols, firewalls, NAT, persistent caches, Web caches, etc.
- Operating Systems
- Unix, Linux, NetWare, Windows 1.0 and up.
- Linux distributions
- Debian, Fedora Core, Knoppix, Mandrake, Red Hat, Slackware, SuSE, Turbo Linux, and Linux-based sealed systems. Also Live-CD versions of many of these.
- VMware, Xen, UMLs
- Open Source Software
- Apache 1.3/2.0, BIND8/9, Boa, djbdns, Exim, GPG and PGP, Jabber, OpenLDAP, OpenVPN, Postfix, Samba, Snort, Squid, and much more.
- LAN analysis
- Uses tcpdump, Ethereal, and Sniffer. Understands most of the popular IP-based and IPX-based protocols.
- Intel assembler, C, Perl, PHP, Bourne shell scripting. Some experience with APL, ruby, scheme, TCL.
- NTSC and RS-170 video. Familiar with PAL and Secam. SMPTE time code
- Electric Power
- Working knowledge of electric power including motors/generators, uninterruptible power, 3-phase, power factor, inductive loads, surges, sags, spikes, etc. Worked with Dranetz equipment.
- Worked with numerous radio systems. Strong interest in space-based communications, meteor burst communications, and more.
- Developed a technique to minimize the time required to restore essential servers in a computer room after a disaster. With server-class computers, complete reinstallations take under 5 minutes per server.
- Developed a technique for protecting customer credit card data from attack on eCommerce sites.
- Developed a technique for integrating ICANN-controlled top level domain names with other DNS name spaces, thus allowing sites seamless access to all DNS domains/zones.
- Developed a technique for allowing a company to exchange files with customers, and suppliers over a secure network minimizing the possibility of files being misdirected.
- Co-developed a technique for creating extremely secure Linux-based computers.
- Developed Web sites with granular security levels. Split sites across server platforms based on the content to be served. This prevents an entire site being successfully attacked or hijacked when only a portion of the site's content is vulnerable.
- Integrated the Jabber Instant Messaging protocol with system logging so support personnel are immediately notified of abnormal events. Support personnel can also see who else is being notified.
Wrote over 20 books on computer technology over the last 20 years. Most recent books:
|Guide to Apache||ISBN 1-4188-3753-2|
|Advanced Linux Networking and Security||ISBN 1-4188-3539-0|
|Lab Manual for Linux+ Guide to Linux Certification||ISBN 0-619-21620-4|
Wrote hundreds of articles for magazines, newsletters, and user groups.
Electronics Engineering - RCA Institute, New York City
Numerous vendor training classes
Numerous industry certifications:
- Novell CNE
- Linux Professional Institute LPIC
- CompTIA Linux+